Sydney Bus Driver

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hand Signals

Buses have a ”Give Way” sign on the back. This requires drivers of other vehicles to give way when pulling out of a bus stop.

Here is the way the rule is expressed in the Australian Road Rules (page 103):

77 Giving way to buses
(1) A driver driving on a length of road in a built-up area, in the
left lane or left line of traffic, must give way to a bus in front of
the driver if:
(a) the bus has stopped, or is moving slowly, at the far left
side of the road, on a shoulder of the road, or in a bus-stop
bay; and
(b) the bus displays a give way to buses sign and the right
direction indicator lights of the bus are operating; and
(c) the bus is about to enter or proceed in the lane or line of
traffic in which the driver is driving.


I wish I had a dollar for every car which does not give way.

However, I have discovered in the past few weeks that by signaling my intention to pull out using my hand, the other drivers are more likely to give way. I guess the hand signal is more personal than the turn indicators lights. I keep my hand open to ensure it is not interpreted as a rude jester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home