Sydney Bus Driver

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Knowledge Test – Post Mortem

There are a number of reasons why I did better on the 2nd test compared to the 1st.
1) In the 1st test I attempted to answer the questions too quickly. For most of the questions, the correct answer is logical and easy to spot. There were at least 2 questions to which I knew the answer but second guessed myself (because I suspected it was a ‘trick’ question) and chose the wrong answer.
2) Between the tests I reviewed the sample questions on the web: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/car-c.pdf. I had been told this existed but I hadn’t bothered looking for it before the 1st test. The one is for the ‘normal’ (car) licence. This one http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/mediumrigid-mr.pdf is for the Medium Rigid licence. I didn’t know about this one until after the test. I understand these include all the questions which might appear on the test, but I am not certain of this.
3) The 1st test showed me that the test I took is specifically for Medium Rigid vehicles. This is important as the Heavy Vehicle Drivers’ Handbook contains information about all trucks. There are many numbers in this book (distances, weights, lengths, time), more than I an able to remember. After the 1st test I decided I didn’t have to memorise the numbers relating to the heavier trucks.
4) During the 2nd test I used the ear phones which are available. The questions and answers are spoken as well as being on the computer screen. The ear phones helped my concentration.
5) The test allows questions to be skipped, to be redisplayed at the end. In the 2nd test I used this feature when I wanted time to consider the answer.

Here is an outline of the structure of the test:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/driverknowledgetest/teststructure.html. I was allowed to get 3 wrong answers in the 1st section and only one each in the other 2 sections. During the 2nd test there were several questions to which I was unsure of the answer but each of my ‘considered guesses’ were right.

Each test attempt cost $34. The test is available in languages besides English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home