Sydney Bus Driver

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Routes

Burwood depot has been assigned 3 new bus routes, specifically, 525, 458 and 459. These routes aren't new to the system. They had previously been done by the Ryde Depot. In fact, they still are, Burwood is sharing the routes with Ryde. I haven't driven any of them yet, but it is a matter of time.

I don't like this. It means I have to learn how to navigate them. With the existing Burwood routes, I have done them enough times I can do them on 'auto pilot'. I know where the bus stops are, which turns require special care, when to change lanes, etc.

So, as I did when I was first learning the Burwood routes, I use the map provided with the passenger timetable and a street directory which I used to I draw a map to provide me with navigation information. The street directory gives me the location of traffic lights and roundabouts (traffic circles) which I can use as landmarks while driving.

However, now there is an addition tool available, Google Street View. I can now 'drive' the route on the Internet. This gives me access to more landmarks, such as buildings, and I can see what the turns look like. Quite handy, actually.