Sydney Bus Driver

Monday, September 25, 2006

Training Day 5 - Driving

Arrived at Burwood depot at 5:15am for a 5:30am start.

I met my trainer (and assessor). In the morning, I rode with him while he did a regular bus service. I stood next to him and he pointed out driving techniques.

Meal break was at 9:30am.

In the afternoon, we went to the Olympic Park at Homebush where I spent several hours driving. The bus I drove was a Mercedes Benz MkII, one of the oldest buses in the fleet. The park has wide roads with little traffic.

I found the driving challenging. The length of the bus (together with the fact the driver sits in front of the steering wheels) makes taking corners (especially left-hand ones) tricky. The bus has air brakes. With hydraulic brakes (as in cars), the brakes are more effective the harder the brake peddle is pushed. With air brakes, the effectiveness increases the farther the peddle is pushed.

I finished for the day at 2:30pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home