Sydney Bus Driver

Monday, November 06, 2006

How Not To Do It

I worked a late PM shift yesterday (Sunday), from about 3:30pm to 12:30am (Monday morning). Working Sundays is supposed to be on a voluntary basis. I didn’t ask for this shift. In fact, last week I thought the roster said I had Sunday off. I still have a lot to learn about how the roster works.

Anyway, the route 401 I did in the 1st half was one I had not done before (btw, this shift was outside the “Nursery” schedule I discussed in the previous post). I did a shortened version of the route. It ran only from the Olympic Park Train Station (“C” on the map) to Sydney Olympic Park ferry wharf (“A”). I did 3 return trips. Each run is scheduled to take about 15 minutes but I struggled to get it under 20 minutes. At the ferry wharf there is a scheduled wait of about 30 minutes, so it was easy work.

On the 1st run (train station to ferry wharf) I made 3 wrong turns. The 1st because I misread the hand drawn map I had made. The 2nd because there was an error in my map. The 3rd because I started to depend on the route markers and one was missing, so I missed a turn.

Luckily, I had no passengers on board (in fact, during the entire 3 return trips I only picked up about 10 passengers in total). Also, luckily, this being the Olympic 2000 site, most of the roads are very wide so making (3 point) U-turns was relatively easy. An aside: Newington was the athlete’s village during the Olympics but is now private homes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home