Sydney Bus Driver

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Training Day 6 - Driving

Same as yesterday. Arrived at Burwood depot at 5:15am for a 5:30am start. In the morning, I rode with my trainer while he did a regular bus service. I stood next to him and he pointed out driving techniques.

Meal break was at 9:30am.

In the afternoon, we went back to the Olympic Park at Homebush for several hours driving. But then we went outside the park into suburban streets.

I am now much more confident using the air brakes. The key is to put the whole foot on the brake pedal (it is designed for this), not just the front part of the foot as is normally the case with cars. I am able to stop the bus smoothly (important for passenger comfort).

I am also better at taking left hand turns, but more practice is required. I had the opportunity to drive though some roundabouts. If turning right, this means, in effect, turning left then right. A bit tricky, especially on the small ones. I need to practice this manoeuvre more.

Another challenge in going through turns is ‘tail swing’. The end of the bus is several metres past the real axle. This means when turn right, the tail goes left. I saw several telephone poles with blue paint on them, having been side swiped by buses when turning. But not by me (not yet).

I have now done 2 days of the 8 days of driver training I am scheduled to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home